Newsvember

It's the start of a new month. Granted, it isn't usually the most cheerful or exciting month of the year here in Canada, without even Thanksgiving to bring some warmth to the heart.
However, for me, this November is an exciting one. I have two bits of news to share with you all.
First, I've begun writing my second novel. Why on earth would I do this before my first has reached a state of completion? A few reasons. Firstly, with the second draft done, it is at a stage where only minimal changes will need to be made, minor fixes in response to beta feedback. No more full rewrites there. The story and plot points will likely remain as they are. That makes it safe to venture into new territory, as my second book is its sequel. Second, I have a feeling that it may be easier to pich two completed books in the same series to a literary agent than just one. And should, heavens forfend, no one wan these books, then it's still practice. Finally, ther's NaNoWriMo, which for those who don't know is a writing program that happens every November, where you try to write one book or 50000 words in 30 days.
I've always wanted to try doing this, but before this month I didn't really believe that I had the capacity to write a complete novel. Prior to this time last year, I didn't have any good ideas, either, and last year the basis for the two novels had yet to flesh itself out. This time, I have the confidence and the idea, and have already made significant progress.
Without giving anything away from the first book, I will say that this one picks up a few years after the first, and will reintroduce all major players from the first to varying degrees, flesh out the world more, introduce new areas and fulfill some clues I peppered through the first book.
Now, the second news? As of this moment, I am pleased to announce that I am now a freelance writer. That is to say, I will get paid for some things I write. I have signed a contract as a contributer to a professional blog that will soon be starting. It remains to be seen how often they'll want pieces from me, but however much I write, this is a big and exciting step for me. I'm not going to announce where just yet, that will come when I am actually published for the first time, but this is fantastic.
At the start of 2019, I had no idea that I was capable of any of this. I didn't think I could maintain a weekly blog. Writing a novel seemed like a pipe dream. Getting paid for the words I write was a pleasant daydream. Yet, here I am, able to claim all three as things I achieved. And the year isn't even over yet.
What will 2020 bring? Time will tell.
ps: The first two books even have names. The first is Spring Thaw, the second is Changing Tide.
Want to follow or interact with me on social media? Find me on Twitter by following @jennifermorash or head over to https://www.facebook.com/jennifermorashblog. I post blogs every Wednesday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ablist Language

The Fields of Home, a Haibun

The Beauty I See